How to do waterproofing in the bathroom?
To make an exterior and interior of a surface secure from the damage caused by water leakage, rainwater, surface water, and damping or humidity – Waterproofing is a vital practice to be done after completion or in between the construction.
The bathroom is one of the main parts of any house and it must be given special care for keeping it safe, secure, and hygienic. Wet areas need to be properly waterproofed because walls, floors, and tiles can be easily influenced by running pressurized water of unsteady temperature.
Mainly, the cemetery areas where water runs the most demands proper care for leakage and humidity such as bathrooms, kitchens, gardens, and field houses. Every type of surface can be sealed at any time with the full faith of the respective company. Whether a bathroom is under construction or needs modification – sealing is a major necessity.
5 simple steps to waterproof a bathroom with ease
Step- 1: Prepare the surface
The very first step before applying the coat for the waterproof layer is preparation. Pick all the goods placed in the bathroom such as a bucket, soap, shampoos, tub, etc. This will open the surface and the process can be done smoothly and easily.
Step- 2: Clean the bathroom
In case you are modifying a bathroom dust off the dirt particle, grease, acid, or any unwanted mud stuck at the surface. Throw water over the floor with full pressure. Make use of brushes, wipers, and detergents for giving a deep cleansing to a bathroom. Give special attention to the corners and edges as most of the soapy layers gather at this particular point.
Step- 3: Measure the area
The Second and the most important step in fitting a waterproof layer is ‘measurements’. Examine the complete area to be coated and write it down in a notebook – this will help you in estimating buying material according to accurate dimensions. Suppose you want to coat the floor of the bathroom – calculate the length and breadth of the floor. Double-check the recordings if required.
Step- 4: Choose a suitable method to operate
Fix the waterproof sheets in the bathroom
- You can go with any method of waterproofing as per the requirement. To fix sheets of any type in the bathroom just go through the following steps
- Sheets are self-adhesive and can be applied simply to the walls and floors of a bathroom.
- Apply the primer or grout for extra satisfaction or in case you feel they have low adhesive strength.
- At the corners of the floor and walls, apply sealing tape. Also, seal plumbing pipes and every fitting.
- It is the perfect time to start attaching sheets to walls- remembers to fix the membrane upside down. Carefully apply every layer of the sheet along with the tapes.
Apply cementitious waterproofing membrane in bathroom
This type of waterproofing is mainly done while constructing the apartments and multiple-story buildings to provide safety from water entrance through roofs and floors. Follow the given steps to understand the idea behind adding a waterproof coat of cement.
- Deeply clean and chip the waste material attached to the required surface.
- You can use a trowel and any grinding tool for cleaning purposes – do not settle for even a little dust.
- Wash the area with cold water and dust off the excess with a broom.
- Now, the portion is all set for making an incredible change.
- Mix the sealant to the cement – stir the mixture until they are bonded strongly with each other.
- Using a brush, apply the substance to walls and floor just like paint. Cover every corner with perfection.
- Apply 2-3 coats and let them dry.
Step-5: Paint or tile the surface
Once the waterproof coatings are dried up properly, apply your favorite shade of paint on the walls and fix the tiles on the floor. Give a smooth finish to texture by applying lacquer.
Even though the bathroom itself relates to water and water running taps, shower, pipes, drainage, tubs, and sink – it still deserves to make excess moisture-proof. The tiles, walls, floors, and plumbing area must be properly shielded with a suitable membrane. The life span of the entire building will be enhanced.